Ok....So, I am back for entry#2. So this freakin snowstorm has crippled the East Coast. Everything is completely shut down. I have been given the gift of time with my job being closed until next Tuesday. And like most Americans who are given gifts,what have I managed to do up to this point???You got it-Squander it.
The Type A person in me has grandiose plans of coming up with a scheme to change the world, reorganizing my undies, and writing my whole dissertation. However the couch potato in me has had other plans. I've spent my day searching for a cheap flight anywhere HOT and watching ridiculously bad television. Let's talk about that for a second. Yeah what's up with Baby Boy??!!! Ok, I know that I am probably the only black person who has never seen it (news flash-my mama went to see it in the movie theater, gasp) but what in the hell? The Angela Davis Black Power Feminist in me caved today and got sucked in and watched it. Utterly ghetto and raw and I am embarassed to admit it INTRIGUING. I mean I guess we can all admit that we know, are related to, been involved with or have come in contact with a Jody in our lives.
What gets me is that in a slightly codependant way the Jodies of the world are endearing souls. I always get on a dear friend of mine telling her that she is a "social worker by trade, not in her relationship." But there may be something there. Is it that we as black women empathize with the struggles of black men that we put up with "ish" and in some ways encourage some of their negligent behavior? I'm just saying....Before any of the men who may read this jump on the "True Heart must be a male bashing, Oprah watching, raging feminist." Pump your brakes and pull the car over. I LOOOOVE black men. I'm not racist at all and I know love is colorblind but my eyes and heart and soul resonate with my black brothers. But really some of you have got to get it together and we as black women need to stop letting FEAR rule our lives.
You know what I am talking about-The fear that the Good Decent Black Man Supply Store will run out of strong black men or they will be severely on back order or heaven forbid they will start requiring you to share (not even gonna touch that today). Wow, maybe Baby Boy wasn't that bad of a movie. Look at the philosophical rant it birthed? Not....All I am saying is something has to be said for the definition of Insanity-Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
So when are we going to do something different?
No comments:
Post a Comment